Friday, September 14, 2012

Whenever you can, visit the dwelling of your imagination.


 About me:
Photo credit to Vicky & Chuck Rogers on flickr
   Hello everyone. Here you have my small Bio. My name is Zobeida Fernandez and I came from Cuba just a few years ago, so I can tell you from personal experience what it means “culture shock.” To give you an idea, I changed from a bicycle, a telephone from the 70s, the horse-drawn carriages, the daily blackouts, lack of information and the shortages of almost everything you need, to a high-tech society with access to an overwhelming amount of information that changes and updates per second. For me it was like to have shifted from the era of the primitive community to this tech-society without even having passed through the medieval stage. Besides all this, it is the challenge of trying to digest all these in English. So if it comes to technology, I can say that I am in kindergarten. Still I do not complain and look with hope to the future.
     In Cuba I was a teacher for many years. I taught physics, mathematics and psychology at the university; I really enjoy teaching very much. I also love to read and write, but to be honest, it is still hard for me express myself in English. However, I enjoy the challenges as well as the pleasure that gives me to learn new things. I do not like giving up and I think that be persistent and be willing to admit our mistakes, listen to an advice and rectify them are qualities needed to get where we want. Something that also occupies an important part of my life is to study the Bible; to me it contains a unique practical wisdom. For example: “In the abundance of words there does not fail to be transgression, but the one keeping his lips in check is acting discreetly”(Proverbs 10:19). How many problems we would avoid if we learned to control that organ so small, but so powerful? It can unite or separate, hurt or heal, bring peace or start a war, sow love or hate, create a problem or solve it.
Photo credit to Mara on Flickr
     Besides all this, I like to create things and use imagination. It is fun to put wings to our mind and let it free for a while. When she returns from her trip, she can come loaded with new and good ideas. Do you want to try it?

1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you to make that culture shift - I wonder if you had even a small idea of what the differences would be when you made the move?! :)

    [Note - neither of your Flickr links actually took me to the Flickr images - let's get that fixed! :)]

    ReplyDelete